My Comfort Food

Banana Nut Bread always gives me a very warm feeling. I remembered when I was going to school in the States, my friend Suzie used to make these for me, she uses zuchinni instead. I'm always have the fuzzy warm kind of feelings when I get one of her bread during the summer(she grows the zuchinni in her backyard)
So reminds me of my mom.

Recipe:
245 grams all-purpose flour
50 grams granulated white sugar
50 grams light brown sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
65 grams chopped walnuts
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
113 grams butter, melted and cooled
3 very ripe large bananas (approximately 1 pound or 454 grams), mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

*1 banana optional - for garnish

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
Butter a loaf pan or muffin pan.
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chopped walnuts. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky.
(The important thing is not to over mix the batter.

You do not want it smooth. Over mixing the batter will yield tough, rubbery muffins.)
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and place a slice of banana on top of each muffin for garnish.
Bake about 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Place on a wire rack to cool for five minutes and then remove muffins from pan.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: To mash bananas I have found the easiest way is to just use my fingers, a fork or a potato masher.
Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

Comments

Popular Posts