Banana Loaf - by a guest baker!


This day, was invited as a "guest" baker to try something on my own - after all, I was the one who got interested first in baking and went out to buy the oven, the mixer and all. I used to bake for my cell group during my college days in Canada. My senior used to say quite simply "2 cups or sugar, 2 cups of oil, 4 cups of flour....it sounded so easy then" Plus the cake turned out rather good and popular with my cell members. Or maybe they just prefer freshly baked anything! Still scratching my head on what was this real easy going recipe which only needed 1 yogurt cup to make it all work out.

So now my interest has kinda evolved from baking to tasting, since now wife is the one who has taken over the baking reins. I tried to act cool but soon realize that I have forgotten the baking basics! Was already cracking eggs even though the rest of the ingredients are not assembled on the table yet. So you can imagine I was in and out of the kitchen just too many times to bake a simple banana cake. Plus I actually pour the flour into the dry mixture without sifting!!! This is embarrassing man! After a bit of wife encouragement and guidance, the rest of the session was much smoother. But for a simple banana cake that I can easily buy at the nearby bakery, I felt that this was too much hassle...
However, the outcome turned out better than expected and made me take back my thoughts earlier on (about the hassle)....when the loaf came fresh out of the oven, the smell was pleasant and the warm soft texture with its slightly crispy exterior simply OUT OF THIS WORLD! I can just imagine a scoop of vanilla ice-cream to be served with a warm 2" slice of this banana loaf for an afternoon tea --- bananalicious its what I would describe it!

Recipe
1-3/4 cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
50 grams granulated white sugar
50 grams light brown sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
8 tablespoons (113 grams) (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 very ripe large bananas (approximately 1 pound or 454 grams), mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or vanilla bean)

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
Grease a loaf pan.
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky. (The important thing is not to over mix the batter. You do not want it smooth. Over mixing the batter will yield tough, rubbery loaf.)
Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan to 3/4 full.
Bake about 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Place on a wire rack to cool for five minutes and then remove loaf from pan.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

yummy tots! said…
Yo Yo Yo babe, I'll be expecting more stuff from you now! Fantastic job and taste wuder-ba!
Anonymous said…
this is so interesting... Do u realise ur blog can be retrieved via google search? This goes to show how popular ur blog is becoming! hahahahhaha... Hey, u shld post a pic of urself then and now in ur profile, so dat ex schoolmates/colleagues will recognise u guys are... So is going to Le Cordon Bleu ur wish now? ;)
SIG said…
Your little tots are very cute. :)
Anonymous said…
YYYYUUMMM!! I <3 banana loaf and banana bread!!!!

Popular Posts