Jamie ... ooh so good!

Woke up this morning and had a strong desire to bake. Actually I have been waking up to that desire for a while, but looking at the Chinese New Year cookies sitting on the kitchen table gave me second thoughts.

I've baked so much and ate so much during this festive period that nothing much appeals to me, AND I haven’t post anything for awhile. Just plain laziness and I forgot to take any photos of the food I cooked during CNY. I usually only remembers halfway through the meal, which explains my photos today as well. I forgot step 2,3,4, and 5 hahaha!

As I was saying, woke up with a strong desire to bake something today … and since it’s the weekend I thought breakfast would be nice. Alas, we end up having it for tea cos by the time I finished proving the dough, breakfast was over!

Oh yes, after saying so much, I have yet to introduce the “product”. It’s savory bread roll by Jamie Oliver. I’ve been longing to try this recipe after watching it on TV.

Here’s the recipe with some modification.


Brunch Breads from "At the Beach" episode of The Naked Chef

Basic Bread Mix
1 (11 gram) sachets instant yeast
500 grams bread flour, plus extra flour, for dusting.
310 milliliters tepid water 1 teaspoons sea salt 15 grams sugar

Fillings
200 grams of honey baked ham, cubed (I used the end bits)
2 large eggs, boiled for 8 minutes, shelled and cut into 4 pieces each
200 grams cheese (a mix of Cheddar, Parmesan, Fontina, mozzarella, or any leftovers that need to be used up), grated
1 handfuls fresh basil (tear it into small pieces)
2 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh rosemary leaves

Method
Mix all the ingredients together and knead into a dough (10 minutes).
Make it into a roundish shape and place on a baking tray to rise until double in size.
Knock out the air by bashing it around for a minute. Roll the dough out into a long rectangular shape about 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) thick, about 9 1/2 inches (1 meter) long and 12 to 15 inches wide.
On the piece of rolled out dough, drizzle 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil onto the surface. Lay out your honey baked ham, eggs, cheese and basil (fresh from my plant).
Sprinkle with salt, chopped rosemary leaves and freshly ground black pepper.
Roll the dough over the filling so it forms what looks like a swiss-roll shape. Bring one end round to the other so that they join up. Pinch and pat the two ends together firmly to form a doughnut shaped bread.
Score the dough with a knife.
Transfer to a baking tray dusted with flour and allow to prove for 25 minutes.
Place in a preheated oven 200C/400F oven until golden, about 35 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts